The Advent is a church with a living, daring confidence in God’s grace through the gospel of Jesus Christ. We hope this confidence is evident in all of our programs and ministries, and is experienced in any of our worship services. Holding to what the Letter of Jude calls “the faith that was once delivered for all the saints,” we also hope this focus on the gospel finds the Cross and Resurrection of Christ ever and only at the center of all that we do.
Our prayer is that the gospel’s word of forgiveness, freedom, rest and reconciliation will find you while you are with us. Welcome!
Here’s a picture of the Sunday morning Dean’s Class:
There are many options on Sunday morning:
- Street parking (no need to feed a meter on Sundays)
- Financial Center Parking Deck on 5th Avenue North (no charge for use on Sunday mornings)
- Advent Episcopal School parking lot at 5th Avenue North and Richard Arrington Blvd.
- Physically impaired persons may find it helpful to park in the Advent’s visitor lot on the corner of 6th Avenue North and Richard Arrington and enter through the doors under the porte–cochère.
We hope you will sit wherever you are comfortable. The ushers are happy to help you with any special needs or seating requirements you may have, including wheelchairs and devices for the hearing impaired.
We look forward to meeting you! We appreciate that some prefer to remain inconspicuous when they visit, and we will not ask you to stand or otherwise make yourself known. We do hope you might introduce yourself to someone nearby (and we hope that someone welcomes you!). There are visitor cards in each of the pews – if you complete one of those, someone will be in touch with you very soon after. We’re glad you’ll be joining us!
Yes, our nursery welcomes newborns through two-year-olds from 8:45–11:00 am. During the 11:00 and 5:00 services, childcare is available for children 5-years and younger.
Yes! Our Christian Education for children and adults is a highlight of our ministries. Locations for our classes can be found in the service leaflet and on our Worship page.
Sunday school time for children varies:
- Three year-olds through Kindergarten typically do not attend the church service, but go directly to Sunday school (located downstairs) from 8:50-10:50 a.m.
- First, 2nd and 3rd graders who attend the 9:00 service leave immediately prior to the sermon and follow their teachers to their Sunday school classes, remaining there until 10:50 a.m. when they are picked up by their parents.
- Fourth through 12th Graders have Sunday school from 10:10-10:50 a.m.
Adults have Sunday school from 10:10-10:50 am. There are several classes from which to choose. We encourage adults to start with the Inquirers’ Class, but feel free to experience any of our offerings that are of interest to you.
Typically, Sunday worship takes about an hour for the 9:00, 11:00, and 5:00 services. The 7:30 service runs about 45 minutes. The Wednesday 12:05 p.m. Communion service in the chapel lasts less than 30 minutes, depending on attendance.
Many who attend the Advent come from other denominations, and all are welcome and encouraged to participate. You can follow the service in the service leaflet, which usually contains everything you need. If you prefer, you can use the Book of Common Prayer (BCP), which is located in our pews.
Yes! The Inquirers Class is a special adult education course open to anyone, but it is particularly designed for newcomers to the Advent as well as adults considering confirmation, reception from another denomination, or public reaffirmation of their faith. The series meets for eight weeks in the fall and spring, and as an accelerated evening course as announced. Each lesson stands alone, and anyone is welcome to join us at any time during the course. Find out more here.