The Advent is a church with a living, daring confidence in God’s grace through the gospel of Jesus Christ. We hope this confidence is evident in all of our programs and ministries, and is experienced in any of our worship services. Holding to what the Letter of Jude calls “the faith that was once delivered for all the saints,” we also hope this focus on the gospel finds the Cross and Resurrection of Christ ever and only at the center of all that we do.
Our prayer is that the gospel’s word of forgiveness, freedom, rest and reconciliation will find you while you are with us. Welcome!
Here’s a picture of the Sunday morning Dean’s Class:
There are many options on Sunday morning:
- Street parking (no need to feed a meter on Sundays)
- Financial Center Parking Deck on 5th Avenue North (no charge for use on Sunday mornings)
- Advent Episcopal School parking lot at 5th Avenue North and Richard Arrington Blvd.
- Physically impaired persons may find it helpful to park in the Advent’s visitor lot on the corner of 6th Avenue North and Richard Arrington and enter through the doors under the porte–cochère.
We hope you will sit wherever you are comfortable. The ushers are happy to help you with any special needs or seating requirements you may have, including wheelchairs and devices for the hearing impaired.
We look forward to meeting you! We appreciate that some prefer to remain inconspicuous when they visit, and we will not ask you to stand or otherwise make yourself known. We do hope you might introduce yourself to someone nearby (and we hope that someone welcomes you!). There are visitor cards in each of the pews – if you complete one of those, someone will be in touch with you very soon after. We’re glad you’ll be joining us!
Yes, our nursery welcomes newborns through two-year-olds from 8:45–11:00 am. During the 11:00 and 5:00 services, childcare is available for children 5-years and younger.
Yes! Our Christian Education for children and adults is a highlight of our ministries. Locations for our classes can be found in the service leaflet and on our Worship page.
Sunday school time for children varies (below is our current summer procedure). Please note that we still go by what grade children completed in May until they “move up” to their new grades on Rally Day (Sept. 10th). (Ex: If your child just finished 1st grade, they are considered 1st grade until Rally Day.)
- 3K and 4K children will meet in Room 105 (8:45-10:50).
- 5K-1st grade: attend 9:00 service with parents, leaving after the children’s blessing for Sunday School (adult volunteers will meet children in Clingman Commons) Pick up in Room 101.
- 2nd-3rd grade: attend 9:00 service with parents, leaving after the children’s blessing for Sunday School (adult volunteers will meet children in Clingman Commons) meet in Room 207.
- 4th-5th grade will meet in Room 307 after the 9:00 service for Sunday School (10:10-10:50).
Adults and Youth (6th-12th grade) have Sunday school from 10:10-10:50 am. There are several classes from which to choose. We encourage adults to start with the Inquirers’ Class when it is in session, but feel free to experience any of our offerings that are of interest to you.
Typically, Sunday worship takes about an hour for the 9:00, 11:00, and 5:00 services. The 7:30 service runs about 45 minutes. The Wednesday 12:05 p.m. Communion service in the chapel lasts less than 30 minutes, depending on attendance.
Many who attend the Advent come from other denominations, and all are welcome and encouraged to participate. You can follow the service in the service leaflet, which usually contains everything you need. If you prefer, you can use the Book of Common Prayer (BCP), which is located in our pews.
Yes! The Inquirers Class is a special adult education course open to anyone, but it is particularly designed for newcomers to the Advent as well as adults considering confirmation, reception from another denomination, or public reaffirmation of their faith. The series meets for eight weeks in the fall and spring, and as an accelerated evening course as announced. Each lesson stands alone, and anyone is welcome to join us at any time during the course. Find out more here.