In 1872 the new city of Birmingham grew quickly after the Elyton Land Company established a new industrial center in what was formerly undeveloped land. Bishop Richard Hooker Wilmer sent Philip Fitts to serve area congregations in the new city. With the 16 Episcopalians he found in Birmingham, Fitts began meeting at the corner lot sold to this young congregation for $5.00. By 1893 the church’s worship space, the “Nave,” was completed and welcomed worshippers. The first Lenten Preaching Series began in 1908, the Advent Episcopal School opened in 1950, and the Advent became the Cathedral of the Episcopal Diocese of Alabama in 1982. Various renovations and building projects added spaces and expanded the school through the years, along with our Cranmer House and Advent House satellite locations. In 2022, Craig Smalley was called as Dean and Rector and began to lead our downtown Birmingham church family.
For those interested, the beautiful book Witnesses to the Light: An Adventure into God’s Workmanship, Past, Present, and Future by John Harris Harper provides a detailed description of the architectural and visible history of our downtown church building. Copies are available in the Advent Bookstore.
Our church is a gospel-centered church in the Episcopal Diocese of Alabama, as a part of the Anglican Communion. We have a living, daring confidence in God’s grace that is evident in our programs and ministries. Holding to what the biblical Letter of Jude calls “the faith that was once for all delivered to the saints,” this gospel-focus finds the cross and resurrection of Jesus Christ ever and only at the center.
The most comprehensive summation of our traditional Anglican doctrine may be found in the Thirty-nine Articles of Religion.
We find our theology expressing itself through our four hearts.
A heart for the gospel
A HEART FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT HEARD THE GOSPEL
A HEART FOR THOSE WHO HAVE BEEN BURNED BY THE CHURCH
A HEART FOR THE CITY OF BIRMINGHAM